Congratulation to John Bowen for earning Athlete of the Month for March!
John has been doing CrossFit for very long but he has dove all in. Embracing the comradary, hard work, and commitment it take to see results. And he has seen results, he could tell you how many pounds he has lost and how much his blood pressure and cholesterol have dropped. He has also gotten so much better at some of the technical movements such as the kipping, double unders, and over head movements.
John is a great example of an individual that has completely bought into what CrossFit is and is reaping the rewards. John brings a ton of energy to each class with him and inspires his peers with his work ethic and dedication to getting better.
Congrats John on earning Athlete of the Month.
A few words from John:
When did you become a member at WC?
- Early January, 2018
What do you do when you're not at WC?
- Work, spend time with my family, and (with my wife) follow our kids around to their various sports/activities.
When did you realize crossfit is right for you?
- Maybe around three weeks into it. Up to that point, everything hurt a little too much to fully enjoy...
What's your favorite WOD/movement?
- I really like the deadlift and push press.
What's your least favorite WOD/movement?
- Dumbbell overhead squats. Or, really, most overhead movements. They're all pretty humbling for me.
What is one thing you have done at WC that you never thought u would do?
- I'm still often surprised to finish a WOD that looked impossible when I started.
What motivates you during a WOD?
- I'm really encouraged by the strength and power of the more experienced crossfitters. Just seeing what they can do pushes me to go harder than I ever would on my own.
What is something about yourself we may not know?
- I really enjoy all kinds of technology and IT. I write software, design websites, databases, etc., mostly for fun and to make life a little easier for myself and people around me.
What advice would you give someone just getting started with crossfit?
- For some reason, the Internet is full of CrossFit-haters; don't buy in to any of that nonsense, but instead just show up consistently and do the best you can. You'll be amazed what you're capable of.
Fill in the blank (one word):
I do...binge-watch Netflix
I am...stronger than I was yesterday